Friday, April 22, 2022

Toastmasters Icebreaker speech: title?

The first time I gave an ice breaker speech was a long time ago.  


Our toastmasters club had a theme for each meeting, and on that day the theme was "Backwards toastmasters meeting"


My speech title was "I am an extraordinary person living an ordinary life".


When I announced the speech title, I sensed my audience judging me as an "arrogant" person.  I often make snap judgements about people and their social status, and life too.  I could relate.  


But, I had a plan.  I took a deep breath and started.


I had taken advantage of our toastmaster theme meeting, and structured my speech backwards.  So extraordinary were my life stances and I was the ordinary one.  


I am an ordinary person living an extraordinary life.   I am so grateful for what I have in life.


Life happened.  I stopped going to Toastmasters.  I became pregnant, went on maternity, and changed jobs.  


After a couple of years at my new place of employment, I found out there's a corporate Toastmasters Club.  I was so happy and happier when my manager was supportive of me joining the club, and happiest when I found out my second line manager was a club member.  Oh all the opportunities I could embarrass myself in front of my managers!  


I have a self defeating sense of humour.


It's a deja vu moment for me to be standing here, and giving another ice breaker speech.  Feeling all your energy through miles, cuz I am in Canada, and you are not.  It seems, and I am saying this based on my experience of two Toastmasters club, the common denominator here is positive energy. 


so my fellow toastmasters, I can't wait to start this new journey with you.  In this one I plan on identifying my sense of humour and incorporating it in the words I choose to deliver the messages.

   

Back to you!

Notes to self:  need an example to for self-defeating sense of humour.  

No comments: